Tuesday, August 13, 2013

More about Miss Van Orden


My name is Miss Rachel Van Orden. I grew up in Springville Utah.  When I was growing up I spent time in Virginia, Vienna Austria, and Jerusalem, Israel when my father taught in different BYU programs. Coming from a family of teachers I also chose to go into education graduating from BYU with a BA Elementary Education and from Southern Utah University with a Master’s in Education with an emphasis in Math and English as a Second Language (ESL). I have taught both 2nd and 5th grades.  My first year of teaching was in Houston, Texas.  I love history and all of the arts which lead me to participate both in Jordan History Academy of Teachers(JHAT) where I learned about American History and took a trip to Boston and Philadelphia with other teachers and BYU Arts Leadership Academy where I have learned more about how to integrate arts into my teaching bringing more arts into the school. I take opportunities to be a life long learner by taking community classes, cake decorating, reading in a book club with friends and education classes to help her be a better teacher.  I enjoy learning about many different kinds of peoples and cultures and has been to 4 of the 7 continents and hopes to go to all of them in her lifetime.  I loves my students and teaching.  I will always call you my "kids."

I added a few pictures so you can see a little more about me.

This first picture is of me as a baby with my brother Michael. 
 This is a picture of my family when I was in Elementary School.  It has all of the kids and my parents.  You probably will meet my dad sometime this school year.  He is retired but used to work at BYU as a professor.  My oldest brother Stephen teaches German at Timpview High School in Provo.  His wife teaches English there too. My sister Kaye teaches US History, Geography and German at Elk Ridge (some of you may have her in Junior High--wouldn't that be crazy?). Her husband works as a security officer.  My brother Michael and his wife both work in film in LA in California.  My little brother Matthew teaches at Horizon School in Saratoga Springs with Special Needs students. His wife is finishing school at BYU where we all went to school.  Sorry Ute fans, but my blood bleeds TRUE BLUE. My mom also teaches Special Needs students at Springville High School where I graduated. Yes we are all teachers!
This next picture is of me at Mesa Verde one of our Awesome National Parks in the United States.  I went there a few years ago with some friends.  It is a great place to learn about Native Americans in the South West.  I always try to visit historical sights on all of my vacations because I LOVE history.
This picture is of me in Boston with my experience with JHAT.  Many teachers from Jordan School District went on a trip to learn more about the Revolutionary War and the Constitution.  It was a fabulous trip.  This picture was taken on the USS Constitution a battle ship from the War of 1812--the same war we got our National Anthem. 






No comments:

Post a Comment